The first book to jump start this year off is a great read from Tony A. Gaskins, Jr., titled, “The Dream Chaser.” It’s certainly well worth your time and will inspire and encourage those with an entrepreneur spirit in them to keep believing in their dreams. In my own journey towards transformation, I want to share some of the insightful nuggets that stood out to me from the book. Don’t just rely on these few quotes though, go pick it up for yourself! Be Blessed. Be Revealed.
The Dream Chaser
By: Tony A. Gaskins, Jr.
- You have to question the path.
- While studying in school, you should spend just as much time studying yourself.
- Don’t sleep on your dreams. There are natural gifts inside of you that could change your life.
- If you want to sleep through life, then get comfortable; but if you want to be great in this life, then you’ll have to stretch yourself.
- Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not and miss out on who you can become.
- A fantasy is rooted in pleasure. A dream is rooted in purpose.
- Have a vision so big that certain parts of it are blurry and it only clears up as you walk by faith toward it.
- Don’t get caught up in the system so much that you fail to do what you were born to do. Tap into your gifts and use them to help make your life better.
- You have to follow the calling, not the crowd.
- How can God trust you with the world when he can’t trust you with your own home?
- There is a lot of growth in the climb, just as there is growth in the valley.
I guarded my eyes and my ears very closely because I was growing.
- You can’t delegate your destiny.
- Success is made in the oven. It takes time to become successful, and you have to work for it like there is no tomorrow.
- It was family time and grind time.
- Confidence comes from strength. Arrogance comes from insecurity.
- Don’t settle for mediocre people if you aren’t a mediocre person.
- Don’t compromise your value, your morals, or your beliefs.
- You constantly have to be creating and innovating, whether that’s new materials or new products. You have to keep working.
- Make it simple as possible but not one bit simpler.
- I knew there wasn’t a downside to having self-respect.
- Learn something about every aspect of your business, and be consistent in your gift.
- Three C’s: Confidence, Content, and Consistency
- When you learn how to love, you learn how to live. Your family should be your first priority.
There will never be a “perfect” time but there will always be a right time to dare greatly and go after the dream in your heart. That time is now. Live a life of 100x and believe in something so grand that it will take God’s hand of favor and intervention to make it happen. There is nothing too big for God. In fact, he will surpass our wildest and biggest imaginations. I believe God is pleased with our God-sized dreams. My dad used to say to me “go big or go home!” Friends…I’m telling you the same. Be Blessed! Be Revealed!
From Mark Batterson’s “Chase the Lion”
“The Lion Chaser’s Manifesto”
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death.
Run to the roar.
Set God-sized goals.
Pursue God-ordained passions.
Go after a dream that’s destined to fail unless God intervenes.
Start pointing out problems, become part of the solution.
Stop repeating the past and start creating the future.
Face your fears.
Fight for your dreams.
Grab opportunity by the mane and don’t let go.
Live like today is the first day and last day of your life.
Burn sinful bridges.
Blaze new trails.
Live for the applause of nail-scarred hands.
Don’t let what’s wrong with you keep you from worshipping what’s right with God.
Don’t try to be who you aren’t.
Laugh at yourself.
Dare to fail.
Dare to dream.
Dare to be different.
Chase the Lion!
This was not just another message. This was a gut wrenching, life- changing, and heart searching time in the presence of God. I went to my young adult service at my church last night and Pastor Jeanne Mayo left us with a question that I wonder why many of us, including myself, don’t ponder more?
WHAT’S IN YOUR BOX?
You see there is a gap between what I see and where I hopefully want to be. It is a gap of potential and its actualization. The problem is that most of us, as humans lives far within the limits, far below the maximum, and behaves below the optimum (Duckworth). I don’t want to be the one that fails to maximize all that God has given me. I hope you don’t want to be that person either. So how do we live a life of purpose?
Let’s go a littel deeper. Jeanne Mayo unpacked this quite beautifully. Purpose is not your paycheck. Purpose is not your title. Purpose is not about you. If you’re not careful, if your purpose is not bigger than you, you can easily become your own purpose. Your focus can be all about you and your glory; your career; your ambition.
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, what car I drove, or where I lived. Rather, the only thing that will matter is the DIFFERENCE I MADE IN ANOTHER PERSON’S LIFE.” ~ Jeanne Mayo
To live a life of purpose is to constantly check and evaluate what’s in your box.Let me explain as best as I can through questions that were asked of me:
- What do I wish to be remembered for when I die?
- Without a clear vision of your future, you’ll invariably become a boring repetition of your past.
- Realizing that God has wired me up to ENJOY His purpose and destiny for my life…What do I enjoy doing so much that I would still want to spend time doing it WITHOUT Financial pay?
- Chances are…you may never get paid for doing it…at least, not down here on earth. But the retirement plan in eternity is pretty staggering!
- How can I tweak my unglammourous NOW to add fulfilling layers of eternal purpose to it?
- It’s not WHAT your do that makes your work sacred. But it’s WHY you do it.
- What specific steps do I need to take in the next month (and over the next year) to begin test driving some possible over-arching Purposes in my life?
- This will usually involve changes in you Time Priorities. “First things first..and last things not at all.” Drucker
So…WHAT’S IN YOUR BOX? Be Blessed. Be Revealed.
What are you willing to die for and then LIVE for it? Every morning you wake up, what is it that you are passionate about, hungry about, dream about? So many people unfortunately go through life as “dead” men on the inside instead of stirring the flames of fire that will set them ablaze to make a difference in the world. I dare you today to LIVE passionately. Here are some inspiring quotes on Passion from Youth Pastor Jeanne Mayo. Be Blessed! Be Revealed!
In Vince Lombardi’s last speech before he died, he said these words to a group of corporate leaders: “I’m going to share with you the key to success in any area of your life. The secret, in a word, is…HEARTPOWER. Capture the heart of people you are trying to lead, connect their hearts to your goals, and NOTHING will be IMPOSSIBLE for you.
People do not lack sufficient STRENGTH. Instead, they often lack sufficient PASSION.
Many things will catch your eye, but only a few things will catch your heart. PURSUE THOSE THINGS.
The core problem is not that we are too passionate about bad things, but that we are NOT PASSIONATE ENOUGH about good things.