This was not just another message. This was a gut wrenching, life- changing, and heart searching time in the presence of God. I went to my young adult service at my church last night and Pastor Jeanne Mayo left us with a question that I wonder why many of us, including myself, don’t ponder more?
WHAT’S IN YOUR BOX?
You see there is a gap between what I see and where I hopefully want to be. It is a gap of potential and its actualization. The problem is that most of us, as humans lives far within the limits, far below the maximum, and behaves below the optimum (Duckworth). I don’t want to be the one that fails to maximize all that God has given me. I hope you don’t want to be that person either. So how do we live a life of purpose?
Let’s go a littel deeper. Jeanne Mayo unpacked this quite beautifully. Purpose is not your paycheck. Purpose is not your title. Purpose is not about you. If you’re not careful, if your purpose is not bigger than you, you can easily become your own purpose. Your focus can be all about you and your glory; your career; your ambition.
“A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, what car I drove, or where I lived. Rather, the only thing that will matter is the DIFFERENCE I MADE IN ANOTHER PERSON’S LIFE.” ~ Jeanne Mayo
To live a life of purpose is to constantly check and evaluate what’s in your box.Let me explain as best as I can through questions that were asked of me:
- What do I wish to be remembered for when I die?
- Without a clear vision of your future, you’ll invariably become a boring repetition of your past.
- Realizing that God has wired me up to ENJOY His purpose and destiny for my life…What do I enjoy doing so much that I would still want to spend time doing it WITHOUT Financial pay?
- Chances are…you may never get paid for doing it…at least, not down here on earth. But the retirement plan in eternity is pretty staggering!
- How can I tweak my unglammourous NOW to add fulfilling layers of eternal purpose to it?
- It’s not WHAT your do that makes your work sacred. But it’s WHY you do it.
- What specific steps do I need to take in the next month (and over the next year) to begin test driving some possible over-arching Purposes in my life?
- This will usually involve changes in you Time Priorities. “First things first..and last things not at all.” Drucker
So…WHAT’S IN YOUR BOX? Be Blessed. Be Revealed.