I love this short read because it reminds us how acts of love are essential to leadership. There is so much power revealed in a simple hug! The author tells us that hugs are the universal medicine, a handshake from the heart, or the shortest distance between friends. Most of all, hugs reveal we are all the same and gives us the freedom to be audaciously vulnerable and caring. Here are some great nuggets I picked up while reading this book. Enjoy this appetizer! Be Blessed! Be Revealed!
The 10 Essential Hugs of Life By Roy Spence
- Hug Yourself First – Right now, wrap your arms around your body, give yourself a big ol’ Bear Hug, and say, “I Love you and I miss you.” The seven most healing words anyone can say to another person. So why not say them to yourself? If you aren’t celebrating the best in you, you can’t bring out the best in others.
- Hug Your Faith – Regardless of what religion you believe…Faith in goodness is what unites us all. Treat others the way you want to be treated. The high road is a long journey, but it’s worth the walk.
- Hug Your Family – Yes, all of them lol! Some have great loving families that are easy to hug. Others….well not so easy to hug. Yet, sometimes you have to let go of the pain and hurt, wish them well, and get on with it. Just hug your family.
- Hug Your Friends – Many times they need it and don’t even know it. Your friends need and deserve your support. Hug your old friends, your new friends, your lost friends. Everyone is fighting a battle that you don’t know.
- Hug Your Flag – It’s about being thankful for your community. No matter how far you travel, you can never run away from where you came from.
- Hug Your Failures – You can own them or they can own you. Fess up when you mess up and the process to healing and reclaiming your future will begin again.
- Hug Your Fears – Your fears love the darkness; hug them and shine a light on them. Every fear has the heart of a coward. Expose it and it will go away.
- Hug Your Future – Never, never give up on your dream. If you can dream it, you can build it. Your future is your heart and mind, your passion, your dream, it’s your purpose. The only way the world can take those things away from you is if you choose to let it go. What do you love to do? Do it now, and find a way to do it as much as possible.
- Hug Your Firsts – Keep doing new stuff everyday. You’re only as young as the new things you do. If you can’t remember the last time you felt the thrill of trying something new, you’re in a rut.
- Hug Your Finals – What appears to be an end may only be a new beginning. Every first begins with a final. The more finals you hug, the more firsts you have to open.